Pre-engineered buildings (PEBs), as the name suggests, are factory-built building components that are shipped to the site for construction. It is based on the design and builds concept where it is the contractor that designs the building. This type of construction is considered perfect for specific types of buildings and in certain industries. It is cost-effective and speeds up the construction process. In fact, the building can be dismantled and moved whenever required.
A lot of perception has been created about pre-engineered buildings. In this guide, you can find out how it is different from conventional construction, its applications, and how it benefits everyone.
How it is Different from Conventional Construction?
Some of the key areas where PEBs are different from conventional construction are as follows:
- Lighter: PEBs are much lighter comparatively. This is achieved by a more efficient application of steel.
- Saves Time: Most buildings are created using standard-design sections. This means time gets saved in designing and construction.
- More Cost-Effective: Erecting steel structures is much more cost effective. It is also faster, thus saving more time.
- Accurate Estimation: It is also easier to estimate erection time and costs with PEBs. Contractors can estimate component numbers with precision, thus buying lesser steel – further helping in reducing costs.
- Framing: Custom architectural detaining is designed in conventional construction. At the same time field cutting is needed to create frame members to fit while it is not required in pre-engineered steel buildings.
Conventional construction involves designing everything from scratch for every new project. This means more time being consumed. Besides, conventional steel buildings become costlier because estimation is less accurate.
Applications of Pre-engineered steel buildings (PEBs):
Pre-engineered steel buildings are used for applications that can range from car parking sheds to huge aircraft hangers. The material and concept are so versatile that it has been used for almost every non-commercial building design that exists today. The areas where it has seen widespread use are as follows:
- Industrial: For warehouses, factories, bulk product storage spaces, cold stores, and workshops among others.
- Heavy Industrial: For ceramic factories, cement plants, and steel rolling mills.
- Military & Aviation: For hangars, barracks, administration, and support facilities.
- Agricultural: For greenhouses, poultry and dairy farms, and animal shelters.
- Institutions: For schools, hospitals, auditoriums, and theaters.
- Commercial: Supermarkets, showrooms, offices, shopping centers, service centers, and others.
Benefits of Using Pre-Engineered Buildings
The main reasons why PEBs are so widely used over conventional construction are as follows:
High Level of Customization
Pre-engineered steel buildings can be customized to your specific requirements, meeting your aesthetic and functional goals. You can have the building designed according to your application. Your building’s design has a huge impact on its efficiency. The right mix of components is used, ensuring that the right accessories are added to the building to improve its functionality.
Customization spawns versatility in a design concept. And this holds true for PEBs too. You can design everything from auto shops to warehouses to garages with high precision while boosting efficiency and eliminating waste. For example, you can achieve perfect spacing and sizing for an auto shop to generate optimal revenues from the available space.
Strong & Durable
The choice of framing helps in deciding the strength and durability of your pre-engineered building. It is up to you to decide how strong you want the building to be. Steel PEBs can withstand strong storms, as has been proven time and again. It has been statistically proven that these buildings are much stronger compared to other alternatives.
Besides, PEBs come with decades of warranties, covering structural integrity and paint. The buildings also stand out for their high value for money. These systems don’t require any kind of welding. All the openings come pre-punched, making it easier and faster to install on site.
The author is an experienced professional in the Calgary construction industry. He believes that pre engineered steel buildings Calgary provide a much more cost-effective alternative to conventional commercial construction solutions.